Saturday, June 18, 2011

Why didn't anyone ever tell me about this stuff?!

In my many readings of jam recipes, I always come across tomato jam recipes. Although I am a fan of savoury jams and jellies (perfect for cheese and crackers, or on a sandwich), tomato jam always seemed one step away from aspic.
I am now a believer in the tomato jam.
Living on the farm, I have found that my best concoctions happen when I am not near a grocery store - I search through the cupboards and drawers for things that might taste good together. I had a few tomatoes, but not enough to make salsa, so I looked up some other recipes that I could use them in. Having some fresh herbs growing outside, I thought I would try out a Tomato Basil Jam recipe.
Wow!
It's like refined ketchup. Perfect on eggs, potatoes, with a toasted english muffin...
After making the jam, I had some clear tomato juice leftover, and found a recipe for tomato jelly. I also added fresh cilantro from the garden and curry spices... think chutney without the chunks. A nice alternative to bruschetta...

No comments:

Post a Comment