Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gypsy Tea and keeping warm in Ukraine

A lifetime ago, I lived in Ukraine with a wonderful family.  I learned so much about preserving and canning food there, where it is a necessity if you want to have fruits and vegetables year round and you cannot depend on the grocery stores! 
My best food memory in Ukraine was something my host called "gypsy tea". Canned sour cherries in sweet strong black tea.  We drank this every day after work.  It lifted our spirits and warmed us up!  I've started making my own version of canned sour cherries in memory of those cherries in Ukraine, and it seems I was doing it right!  I just found the recipe for those cherries - which are called "cherry varenya", by the way.  Here's the link:


http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/cherry-varenya.html

No comments:

Post a Comment