Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A word on mincemeat...

We just finished eating most of the holiday goodies, and as usual, we have had the annual discussion around here regarding mincemeat.  I love mincemeat,especially when it tastes boozy.  My mom never made her own mincemeat, but she doctored up the store bought stuff with spiced rum, brandy and a grated apple.  I always make mincemeat tarts every Christmas even though some people wrinkle their nose when they see it.  I love it, and it seems to be a dying tradition, whenever we have people over for the holidays there are at least a few people that become converts!  (such as my nephews, who are 7 and 9!) 

Last year I made green tomato mincemeat, and I do like the consistency of homemade mincemeat better than the store bought.  And there is no fixing it up because then you can add your own preferences in terms of booze and fruit.  This stuff I can eat out of the jar.  (and do!!)

Someone at the farmer's market once told me that you should never eat this years mincemeat, but let it rest for next year.  So I tried that this year and although there is a subtle taste difference, I don't think it will stop me from eating the fresh stuff as well.

Happy Holidays from the Fruition Kitchen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment